Marriott International, Inc.
Chicago, IL, United States
Hospitality, Chef, Food Services
Date Last Verified
Job Number 180035PS
Job Category Food and Beverage & Culinary
Location Sheraton Grand Chicago, Chicago, Illinois VIEW ON MAP
Brand Sheraton Hotels & Resorts
Position Type Management
Start Your Journey With Us
At Sheraton, we go above and beyond in everything we do. We are inspired by our guests and one another – and are driven to make things better. We love what we do, and we give it all we’ve got – on property and off. When guests stay with us, it’s not just a room with a bed that they’re buying. It’s an experience. We’re looking for someone who is ready to go beyond in everything they do. If you are someone with a genuine drive to improve your life and the lives of those around you, we encourage you to explore careers with Sheraton.
Exhibits culinary talents by personally performing tasks while leading the banquet food preparation staff and managing all food related catering functions. Accountable for coordinating menus, purchasing, scheduling, food preparation and plating for catering events. The individual is responsible for delivering a consistent, high quality product with an appetizing presentation. Works to continually improve guest and employee satisfaction while maintaining the operating budget. Must ensure sanitation and food standards are achieved.
Education and Experience
• High school diploma or GED; 4 years experience in the culinary, food and beverage, or related professional area.
• 2-year degree from an accredited university in Culinary Arts, Hotel and Restaurant Management, or related major; 2 years experience in the culinary, food and beverage, or related professional area.
CORE WORK ACTIVITIES
Ensuring Culinary Standards and Responsibilities are Met
• Assists in determining how food should be presented and creates decorative food displays.
• Attends daily Banquet Event meetings to review culinary requirements.
• Checks the quality of raw and cooked food products to ensure that standards are met.
• Develops, designs, or creates new applications, ideas, relationships, systems, or products, including artistic contributions.
• Ensures compliance with all Food & Beverage policies, standards and procedures.
• Estimates daily Banquet Event Order production needs.
• Follows proper handling and right temperature of all food products.
• Maintains food preparation handling and correct storage standards.
• Manages BEO process including menu development, pricing, tracking and ordering.
• Manages food quantities and plating requirements for all banquet functions.
• Plans food quantities and plating requirements for all banquet functions.
• Prepares and cooks foods of all types, either on a regular basis or for special guests or functions.
• Recognizes superior quality products, presentations and flavor.
• Supports procedures for food & beverage portion and waste controls.
Managing Culinary Teams
• Communicates production needs to key personnel.
• Communicates regularly with employees to ensure performance expectations are clear.
• Encourages and builds mutual trust, respect, and cooperation among team members.
• Ensures and maintains the productivity level of employees.
• Ensures employees understand expectations and parameters.
• Ensures property policies are administered fairly and consistently.
• Identifies the developmental needs of others and coaching, mentoring, or otherwise helping others to improve their knowledge or skills.
• Identifies the educational needs of others, develops formal educational or training programs or classes, and teaching or instructing others.
• Leads shifts while personally preparing food items and executing requests based on required specifications.
• Serves as a role model to demonstrate appropriate behaviors.
• Supervises and coordinates activities of cooks and workers engaged in food preparation.
• Supervises and manages employees. Manages all day-to-day operations. Understands employee positions well enough to perform duties in employees' absence.
• Supervises banquet kitchen shift operations.
• Utilizes an open door policy to identify and address employee problems or concerns.
• Utilizes interpersonal and communication skills to lead, influence, and encourage others; advocates sound financial/business decision making; demonstrates honesty/integrity; leads by example.
Maintaining Culinary Goals
• Achieves and exceeds goals including performance goals, budget goals, team goals, etc.
• Develops specific goals and plans to prioritize, organize, and accomplish your work.
• Manages to achieve or exceed budgeted goals.
Ensuring Exceptional Customer Service
• Empowers employees to provide excellent customer service.
• Improves service by communicating and assisting individuals to understand guest needs, providing guidance, feedback, and individual coaching when needed.
• Manages day-to-day operations, ensuring the quality, standards and meeting the expectations of the customers on a daily basis.
• Provides services that are above and beyond for customer satisfaction and retention.
• Responds effectively to guest problems and complaints.
Managing and Conducting Human Resource Activities
• Conducts training when appropriate.
• Ensures employees are cross-trained to support successful daily operations.
• Ensures disciplinary procedures and documentation are completed according to Standard and Local Operating Procedures (SOPs and LSOPs).
• Ensures disciplinary procedures and documentation support the Peer Review Process.
• Participates in training staff on menu items including ingredients, preparation methods and unique tastes.
• Reviews staffing levels to ensure that guest service, operational needs and financial objectives are met.
• Trains employees in safety procedures.
• Analyzes information and evaluating results to choose the best solution and solve problems.
• Attends and participates in all pertinent meetings.
• Provides information to supervisors, co-workers, and subordinates by telephone, in written form, e-mail, or in person.
Marriott International is an equal opportunity employer committed to hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive culture. Marriott International does not discriminate on the basis of disability, veteran status or any other basis protected under federal, state or local laws.
Marriott International, Inc.
Website : http://www.marriott.com
Marriott International, Inc. is a leading hospitality company with more than 3,900 properties, 18 brands, and associates at more than 3,900 managed and franchised properties around the world. Founded by J. Willard and Alice Marriott and guided by Marriott family leadership for more than 80 years, the company is headquartered in Bethesda, Maryland, USA, and reported revenues of nearly $13 billion in fiscal year 2013.