Job Reference Code
About the Job
Under direct and indirect supervision, prepares a variety of foods for all areas of dining services including patient, guest, cafeteria, and catering to ensure high customer satisfaction. Assures high quality of foods produced and served. Assures compliance with food safety and sanitation procedures. Assists in the planning of menus and in the purchasing of staples.
• Prepares and cooks, in large quantities, food for service to patients, guests, cafeteria and catering including scratch cooking from basic ingredients, garnished in an attractive manner.
• Coordinates room service trayline to ensure sufficient and proper food items are available during meal service.
• Participates in recipe development. Communicates to appropriate staff in an effective and team like manner.
• Follows recipes to prepare and cook food items.
• Modifies or converts recipes for different quantities, special diets, and other needs as directed by manager.
• Ensures proper quality and appearance of product according to established standards.
• Performs opening/closing of cooks and production area including daily equipment check and temperature monitoring. Contacts maintenance as needed and follows up to ensure proper food safety.
• Adheres to proper food handling, sanitation, and safety procedures per regulatory standards. Maintains appropriate temperature, adheres to appropriate dating, labeling and rotation of all food items.
• Documents Hazard Analysis Critical Control Point (HACCP) logs on a routine basis.
• Maintains organized food production area(s) for efficiency and cleanliness while maintaining an effective workflow.
• Coordinates food orders with the production team and assists the Food Service Aides as required which may include, but not limited to, checking incoming orders for quality, temperature and quantity.
• Stores leftovers according to established standards. Plan and utilize leftovers appropriately to minimize waste.
• Orders food supplies for cafeteria. Submits order to supervisor. Maintains food inventory.
• Receives, checks, and signs for foodstuff and/or issuing. Assist with proper stock rotation of food supplies.
• Ensures hot food availability. Monitors food availability during cafeteria service hours, adjusts accordingly.
• Plans for daily, holiday and theme menus in collaboration with supervisor.
• Ensures smooth operation of cafeteria services during absence of supervisor.
• Responsible for inventory of all food and supply items as assigned.
• Maintains cleanliness and sanitation of equipment, food storage and work areas.
• Completes cleaning according to daily and weekly schedules and dishwashing/pot washing as needed.
• Listens to customer complaints and suggestions. Facilitates improvement of service and food quality. Resolves complaints. Implements suggestions within parameter of position. Refers more complex concerns to supervisor.
• Instructs personnel in use and safety requirements of equipment as well as the cleaning/sanitation methods. Provides efficient and effective methods of maintaining work area. Assists with orienting new employees to their work area.
• Participates in and/or contributes to programs, committees, or projects designed to improve quality of service and employee productivity.
• Three years hospital, institutional, or restaurant cooking experience to include food preparation.
• High school diploma with post high school vocational training in basic institutional food preparation and cooking or equivalent combination of education (lesser) and experience may be considered in lieu of requirements.
• Current SERVSAFE certification or successful completion of a sanitation course within the past year.
• Demonstrated knowledge of and skill in ability to follow and modify recipes for quantity and taste, ability to safely and effectively operate standard foodservice equipment, adaptability, decision making, customer service, oral communication, planning, problem solving, teamwork.
• Effectively communication with co-workers, customers, outside vendors, and on the telephone.
• Reading, writing, speaking, understanding English.
• Orienting team members, giving and receiving instructions.
• Mathematical ability to calculate weights and measures/volumes, attention to detail (e.g. organization, prioritization, proofing, accuracy), concentration, and alertness.
• Associate's degree in institutional food preparation with emphasis in health care.